QTP11 IE9 Now Supported with Patch QTPWEB_00078

My team has QTP scripts that we run against different configurations to confirm that our application works as expected.

One of the upcoming initiatives is to validate our product in IE9. I was happy to learn today that HP just released a patch
QTPWEB_00078) for testing web applications in Internet Explorer 9.

Patch QTPWEB_0078 includes support for working with Internet Explorer 9 on all operating systems that are supported by QuickTest Professional 11.

To download from HP: QTPWEB_00078
For an updated list of all patches available for QTP 11 check out the Patches section in my article:QTP 11 Support Matrix with Patch Updates

Succeeding with Automation Awesomeness. I’ll show you how!

Test automation, like all development efforts, is difficult. Most projects don't succeed. You can do better! Sign up and receive exclusive content like my free 10 Proven Actionable Steps for Automation Awesomeness from some of the biggest testing leaders in the industry. Let me help YOU succeed with Test Automation! Sign up now:

Yonke - July 4, 2011

It’s Cool……

Joe Colantonio - July 6, 2011

Yonke » Yes – it is cool :)

Kishore - July 13, 2011

I am not able to download the patch Patch QTPWEB_0078 from your site.

Nithya - July 19, 2011

Can you suggest me how to identify the file download dialog which appears in the bottom for IE 9 browser using QTP 11. I have installed the web patch for IE9.

Nithya.S

Joe Colantonio - July 23, 2011

Nithya » Hi Nithya – I’m still trying to find away to have QTP recognize this IE9 dialog. The best I can think of right now is to use a method like Device Replay. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Joe Colantonio - March 13, 2012

Hi Nithya,

I just found the following info from HP:

(Internet Explorer 9 and newer) The Download Notification Bar feature included on this version uses new controls, not supported by QuickTest Professional.

Note: An enhancement request was submitted for scenario. See QCCR1J21554 using instructions on bottom of this document.

Workaround

Since the download notification bar is recognized as single WinObject object, and considering the buttons therein do not change their location despite of the browser size (except if its width is less than 329 on a 1280×1024 screen resolution)calculating the button location can help getting the necessary coordinates to fire a .click method.

The following code is making use of the above said and is based on descripting programming:

objWidth = WinObject(“nativeclass:=DirectUIHWND”,”regexpwndclass:=DirectUIHWND”, “index:=0″).GetROProperty(“width”)
    savebtnY = 61
    savebtnX = objWidth – 100
    If objWidth < 329 Then
    Browser(“creationtime:=0″).FullScreen ‘or rezise the browser window to show the appropriate coordinates are visible
    End if

‘This will click the save dropdown button
    ‘Browser(“creationtime:=0″).WinObject(“nativeclass:=DirectUIHWND”,”regexpwndclass:=DirectUIHWND”, “index:=0″).Click savebtnX, savebtnY

‘This will click the save button only
    Browser(“creationtime:=0″).WinObject(“nativeclass:=DirectUIHWND”,”regexpwndclass:=DirectUIHWND”, “index:=0″).Click savebtnX- 20, savebtnY

yael ro - June 17, 2012

I need to do Save as. I clicked on save dropdown button
      but the opened window doesn’t recognized in run Time.
      How can I do Save as to download?

Harsh Pandya - March 7, 2013

Try this:
        ‘This will highlight the download bar to grab focus on it.

Set DeviceReplay = CreateObject(“Mercury.DeviceReplay”)

Browser(“creationtime:=0″).WinObject(“nativeclass:=DirectUIHWND”,”regexpwndclass:=DirectUIHWND”, “index:=0″).highlight

‘This will right-click the save button to put focus on it.

Browser(“creationtime:=0″).WinObject(“nativeclass:=DirectUIHWND”,”regexpwndclass:=DirectUIHWND”, “index:=0″).Clickontext “Save”,,,,,true,micRightBtn,true

‘This will press the ‘down arrow’ then the ‘a’ key to activate the drop-down button and then activate the Save As command.

DeviceReplay.PressKey 208 ‘Presses ‘down arrow’ key
        DeviceReplay.PressKey 30 ‘Presses ‘a’ key
        Set DeviceReplay = Nothing

Smita Sen - November 18, 2014

The code is not working for me when i am trying to save a file using Download Bar.I am using UFT 11.5 with IE 10.0.
          Please help me out..

Sandler - June 25, 2012

Hello Joe,

Thanks for all the help you are doing for people like us. I tried handling “Save” document after clicking on “Download” on IE9 but unfortunately the above script doesn’t work for me.
      The following error message I’m getting “Expected statement”at line “savebtnX =objWidth – 100″. any help would be highly appreciated

Regards

Joe Colantonio - June 28, 2012

Sandler » Hi Sandler – did you type in the code or copy it into QTP? When you copy it into QTP it sometimes does not work because there are hidden ASCII character that are entered. Try deleting the whole line and retype it.

testanalyst - September 7, 2011

It helped. Thanks much.

Joe Colantonio - September 7, 2011

testanalyst » Awesome!

VK - September 7, 2011

Great! It worked. Thank you so much!

Joe Colantonio - September 7, 2011

VK » Cool!

Anish Pillai - September 12, 2011

It didnt work for me… :( :(

The download hanged in between and it remained it in same state forever…

I’m using QTP 11 trial version on Windows 7.

testanalyst - September 12, 2011

Hey Joe,

Encountered an error on QTP11 tody. Sent you the message. How to send you the screenshots for the error?

-Testanalyst

venkatesh - November 24, 2011

I’m using QTP 11 trial version on Windows 7

but qtp not recogniging objects in the IE9

sahil - December 27, 2011

Can i use FF for recording and run script using QTP? Please tell me how? i tried alot but could not find.
Many Thanks..

Nagesh - December 29, 2011

This site is really helpfull for the people who are working on QTP.
May I kow the Add-In to recognize flash objects with QTP.

Joe Colantonio - December 30, 2011

Nagesh » Hi Nagesh – thanks for checking out my blog! I’m glad you find it helpfull. QTP does not have a flash add-in that I’m aware of. I know that Adobe does have a Flex QTP add-in. For straight flash you might want to checkout instead. For more info on flex:

Support for Adobe (Macromedia) Flex applications is handled by Adobe. Adobe has released Flex Builder 3.0; this release includes the QuickTest Professional Flex add-in. The add-in was developed using QuickTest Professional’s Test Extensibility Architecture functionality. The Flex add-in is developed and owned by Adobe.
    Hewlett Packard does not support the Adobe Flex add-in, therefore we strongly suggest contacting Adobe (http://www.adobe.com) to see about availability, support details, and pricing.

Adobe is providing the add-in via an automation package that is shipped with Flex Builder 3 Professional. Basic information on the automation package with QuickTest Professional integration is here:

Users can download the automation package with QuickTest Professional integration here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=flex

A specific Adobe license is required and needs to be requested from Adobe. No specific Flex license is required on the QuickTest Professional side.

Note: Support for the Flex add-in is being provided by Adobe. Customers/end-users need to contact the Adobe support organization for help with problems or questions related to the Flex add-in.

Cheers,
    Joe

ss - April 11, 2012

can any one tell where i can find IE 9 patch for qtp 10

Joe Colantonio - April 12, 2012

ss » Hi as far as I know HP has not release a IE9 patch for QTP10. Only QTP11 with Patch QTPWEB_00078 support’s IE9. I think HP does this so you have to upgrade to the latest version.

vivek - May 3, 2012

Which location need to keep this path file

Joe Colantonio - May 8, 2012

vivek » Sorry Vivek not sure I understand your question.

MikeB - May 9, 2012

Can you advise how we would track the progress of QCCR1J21554 please? I have logged into the HP support site and searched for this to no avail. I’m tryting to find out if there is an ETA for fixing this.

Cheers,
Mike.

Joe Colantonio - May 9, 2012

MikeB » Hi Mike have your tried this:

1. Navigate to https://support.openview.hp.com/enhancement/do/main
    2. Input desired ER number
    3. Click on “Find Enhancement Request”
    4. Select found document
    5. (Optional) Sign/Register your profile to receive updates regarding such ER ticket, by clicking “E-mail me when this enhancement request is updated or resolved”

When I look it just says:
    Customer symptom

QTP11 does not recognize IE9 Download Notification Bar; sees it as DirectUIHWND. The controls inside the navigation bar (SAVE/OPEN/CANCEL) are not recognized by QTP.

Customer resolution

Thank you for your response. We are planning to include this abilty in our next releases.

MikeB - May 10, 2012

Great Joe, that does indeed provide the info I was looking for. As this is not yet resolved by HP I have signed up for the email notification, so hopefully will be reolved soon. The workaround above does work, but I’m not so keen on coordinate based code!

Joe Colantonio - May 10, 2012

MikeB » Awesome! Hopefully the fix will be in their next patch.

yael ro - June 12, 2012

I work with QTP11, IE9 and i installs the petch.
      I also have aproblem with The Download Notification Bar and i do you know when will HP give a petch for reolved it?

Joe Colantonio - June 13, 2012

yael ro » The enhancement request for this is still open but it still does not provide a date when the enhancement will be available.

Brain - June 14, 2012

I have QTP 11 and IE 9. The problem is – Browser ().Navigation() function doesn’t work. Can QTPWEB_0078 patch help to solve this problem?
I’ll appreciate any advises

Joe Colantonio - June 20, 2012

Brain » Hi Brian – I’m not sure – I don’t have a IE9 test machine setup yet so I can’t repro or verify this issue. If you are going to be testing IE9 you should install this patch anyway. Does using the following code work for you:

Set IE = CreateObject(“InternetExplorer.Application”)
    IE.Visible = true
    wait (1)
    IE.Navigate “www.joecolantonio.com”

yael ro - June 21, 2012

I need to do Save as in download notification bar . I clicked on save dropdown button by cordinates
      but the opened small window doesn’t recognized in run Time.
      How can I do Save as to download?

Brain - June 25, 2012

I found out why Browser ().Navigation() did not work on QTP 11 – BHOManager Class add-on HP on IE9 was disabled. Once I enabled it – the problem was solved.

Joe Colantonio - June 25, 2012

Brain » Awesome – glad you found the resolution for this. Thanks for sharing the fix!

sri - November 2, 2012

Hi Brain,

iam using IE-7 on QTP-11, even iam not able to navigate the IE to desired URL..can you please elobrate the way how to over come this issue by enabling the BHOManager class…

Sri

Vijay - June 21, 2012

I installed the patch but still the objects are not being recognized by QTP. Any resolution for this?

Vijay

Hari Prakash - June 26, 2012

I have installed QTPWEB_0078.EXE, “Internet Explorer has Stop Working” issue has been resolved. Still i face few issues capturing the object via Object Repository. Note few objects can be identified by Record and playback method.

Kindly suggest a solution.

Hari Prakash K

Sandler - July 20, 2012

I’m unable to solve this…Please help.
getting the following error message
“The statement contains one or more invalid function arguments.”

Joe Colantonio - July 20, 2012

Sandler » When are you getting this error?

Sandler - July 20, 2012

Line (7): “Browser(“Creationtime:=0″).WinObject(“nativeclass:=DirectUIHWND”, “regexpwndclass:=DirectUIHWND”, “index:=0″).Click savebtnX, savebtnY,micLeftBtn”.

Joe Colantonio - July 21, 2012

Sandler » Did you type this line or did you copy it from the post? Based on what you sent me you need to remove ,micLeftBtn”. So the line of code should be:

Sandler - July 24, 2012

Thanks for your quick response Joe..I typed the entire thing and here is what I’m getting
      “Object doesn’t support this property or method: ‘Browser(…).WinObject’
      Line (8): “Browser(“creationtime:=0″).WinObject(“nativeclass:DirectUIHWND”,”regexpwndclass:=DirectUIHWND”,”index:=0″).Click savebtnX, savebtnY”.

*****************************
      This is what I wrote
      objWidth=WinObject(“nativeclass:=DirectUIHWND”,”regexpwndclass:=DirectUIHWND”, “index:=0″).GetROProperty(“width”)
      savebtnY=61
      savebtnX=objWidth-100
      If objWidth<329 Then
      Browser("creationtime:=0").FullScreen
      End If

Browser("creationtime:=0").WinObject("nativeclass:DirectUIHWND","regexpwndclass:=DirectUIHWND","index:=0").Click savebtnX, savebtnY

Sandler - July 24, 2012

Joe in my previous post I realized there was typo mistake (I missed the nativeclass:=”)

but when I tried with correct script it give me this error message

“The statement contains one or more invalid function arguments.

Line (8): “Browser(“Browser”).WinObject(“nativeclass:=DirectUIHWND”,”regexpwndclass:=DirectUIHWND”,”index:=0″).Click savebtnX, savebtnY”.”

Sandler - July 27, 2012

Please help
“The statement contains one or more invalid function arguments.

Joe Colantonio - July 27, 2012

Sandler » Sorry – I don’t understand your issue. Didn’t you see my last response? Line 8 should look like this:

Why does your line of code have quotation marks around it and why is there a period in it – is that really what you have in QTP?

Rose - August 2, 2012

How do you test dropdown list using QTP?

Joe Colantonio - August 6, 2012

Rose » Depends on what technology you are testing. In QTP go to help and click on the ‘Index’ tab. Search for Select Method and choose what environment you are testing against to see some examples of interacting with dropdowns. Are you having a specific issue?

Rose - August 6, 2012

I am new to QTP. I know to record and enhance by inserting standard check points and parameterize. How can i use these skills to automate a website. How to approach to next level. I am in a situation where i need to automate a website asap.

Thanks in advance

Khushal - September 27, 2012

I have QTP11 and IE9 on 2 of my Windows 7 machines. I have installed the patch “QTPWEB_00078″ on both. Now, when I run a batch with multiple test cases, it runs fine on one machine but on the other one, the system hangs after a couple of scripts. This generally occurs when QTP is opening a new script. I have to force a manual reboot to start the system. QTP freezes the windows 7 system completely. I checked for the issue online and some people have said that there is a problem with the QTPWEB_00078 patch. I don’t know if you have faced any such issue, but if you have then could you let me know if you found a solution. I have been struggling on this for days now. Thanks.

Joe Colantonio - September 28, 2012

Khushal » Are you using a function library? I know that there is a know issues (Hot fix QTP_00778) with random “QTP has stopped working” error messages on Win7 machines.

Benoit - December 5, 2012

Hello,
    I have the same problem.
    I use QTP 11 on Windows 7 and IE9. At first it was not working with IE9 then I installed the patch QTPWEB_00078 and it works fine when I run the script from QC.
    But since I installed this patch, when I want to perform any operation with QTP, windows 7 freezes completely.
    I didn’t try to install the hot fix yet cause I don’t have access to the support right now but did it solve your problem Khushal?
    Thank you.

David - October 1, 2012

Hi Joe, thanks greatly for posting all the links to the patches. I m having a probem unzipping the IE9 patch QTPWEB_00078. I downloaded the zip file from the http://www.joecolantonio.com/downloads/ but when i unzip it with the 7Zip it fails with message ‘Data Error…File is Broken’. So as expeced when i try running the generated file it doe snot work. Can you check update the file if its corrupted? Thanks!

Lorena - October 2, 2012

Does QTP v11 support IE8. If so, do I need to run a patch/etc?

thx

ramesh - October 17, 2012

intially i too face the same object identifying problems. after installing qtpweb0078 patch.it is working fine.

thanks&regards
Ramesh T

Sushma - December 22, 2012

I really solved my problem…Thanks a lot.

Tyler D - January 25, 2013

Fixed my problem. THANK YOU for throwing this out there!

neelima - January 29, 2013

I downloaded the patch for internet explorer 9 and QTP 11. After that how should I practice QTP. I have no idea. Kindly help me. Thank you.

neelima - January 30, 2013

AFter downloading the patch for QTP 11 IE 9 . I still have a problem showing run time error. can you give in detail how to unzip and install it.

Dany Hoareau - January 30, 2013

Hello Joe,

I’m french, sorry for my english. I begin to use QTP, 2 week ago. My configuration is QTP 11 + Win 7 + IE9. I install the patch QTPWEB_00078.EXE like you preconized.

Do you know if HP have done a new patch to detect the DirectUIHWND button ?

So, I saw your script behind :

savebtnY = 61
savebtnX = objWidth – 100
If objWidth < 329 Then
End if

‘This will click the save dropdown button

Joe Colantonio - February 3, 2013

Dany Hoareau » Hi Dany – as far as I know this is still an open issue. I have not tried in UFT 11.5 to see if the behavior is the same – I will try and let you know.

Dany Hoareau - March 12, 2013

Hello Joe,

Thanks for your answer :).

I have another probleme with DirectUIHWND’s object.

Sometimes, when I save a heavy’s XLS file, the downloading times is too long. I don’t know how I can wait the downloading times.

However, I see the message in DirectUIHWND object but it is not accessible. I could analyse this string to detect the end of the downloading.

I think this is an interesting point !

Viki - March 14, 2013

I am Using IE9,Windows 7,QTP 11 Trial version:

Nothing gets record. you gave some patch to install, if i got HP site, it says unauthorized. from your link, it says HP made me remove it………….Is there any way that trail version to run on IE 9?

Peter P - March 27, 2013

I’ve just written to HP, criticizing their stance about not allowing open access to this critical software patch. Without it, you cannot even get past the first few steps of the tutorial.

I also told them they should have deal with you (Joe) in a friendlier manner, since in fact you’re maintaining a QTP enthusiast site which is beneficial to them.

If I get a response I will post it here.

Risha Mittal - June 19, 2013

we can automate IE9 download bar, using QTP11. I can share the code of all the operations in download bar. Let me know if anyone required.

Kiran - June 26, 2013

Hi Risha, plz share the code to handle IE9 download bar, using QTP11. Thanks! Kiran

sunil - November 1, 2013

Hi Kiran,

Did you get the code from Risha? Have you checked the code? Could you please share if you have the code.

Sunil Kumar

sunil - November 1, 2013

Hi Risha,
    Could you please share your code for clicking on save and save as button on download bar?

Thanks In Advance.

Sunil

Nitin - September 11, 2013

Hi Joe

I am using QTP-11 with IE9. I have installed QTP_00078 but still QTP is not identifying some of the objects on the page. I tried on IE8 to check whether we have same issue there but it worked perfectly fine on IE8. I have applied all the changes mentioned like uncheck protected mode, UAC settings, registering IE9 in QTP, changing advanced settings in IE etc. but no luck. Please help me with this.

Nitin

Nitin

Joe Colantonio - September 17, 2013

Hi Nitin – does this help:
    (Internet Explorer 9 and newer) Some Web object (such as, ASPAjax or YUI) may not work correctly when using ‘IE9 standards’ document mode. To fix this, add the website to Internet Explorer 9’s Compatibility View settings or switch to another document mode (such as ‘IE7 standards’ or ‘IE8 standards’).

Aj - October 13, 2013

I am using Win 7 with IE 9 and QTP 11. After installing the QTPWEB_0078 patch my QTP crashes on startup screen.
I installed the QTP and Patch with Admin access on my system.

Can you please suggest any solution for the issue.

Thanks in advance

Archies - June 11, 2014

it was really helpful.. keep it up!!

Pranit - August 5, 2014

UFT 11.5 easily handles the issue.It identifies the buttons.

sri - February 13, 2015

Hi

I am using QTP 11 and ie9 browser when i am executing m scripts its selecting objects from combo box but while selecting submit button on that page its showing error message. It means the selected data was not saving to back end what to do to resolve this issue.

Srini - April 16, 2015

how do i save the already opened IE page through QTP script? I am struggling last two days, any idea please suggest your inputs…

Here is my QTP steps:

1. Open http://www.google.com in IE
2. Save the google page (IE page) to my local drive.
3. close the google ie window.