Upcoming series on “How to Automate Web Service Testing with HP Service Test .”

Greetings fellow imagineers!  I want to kick off this blog by giving a brief overview of my upcoming series on “How to Automate Web Service Testing with HP Service Test.”  This is how it all started:  It’s 6:00 a.m., and I only have a couple of hours left before I’m scheduled to give a presentation testing web services.  At this point, to be honest,  I don’t have a clear plan as to what I'm going to cover.  After bouncing some ideas around in my head, I finally decide to download a mind mapping app for my iTouch called iThoughts. ( I had been reading about mind mapping for some time prior, and had even bought some supplies, but had never gotten around to really doing it.)  Thinking like an automation engineer, I was hoping this tool could help to automate most of the work.  Surprisingly, after just one hour of using the app, I had a full outline of what I was going to cover.  The presentation I gave went so well that I decided to create an entire web series on it.

This is the mind map of some topics I hope to cover:

Mind Map for web service testing overview

Mind Map for web service testing overview

Saurabh Gupta - October 27, 2010

Thanks for the info and for upcoming series on Service Test. Would it be possible for you to share the presentation you gave with me?

Warm Regards,
Saurabh

Malay - March 17, 2011

hey Joe,this question does not relate to ST.i am just curious to know,which tool are you using to create this mind map

Joe Colantonio - March 17, 2011

Malay » Hi Malay – I’m using a iphone app called ithoughts. I think its really easy to use.
    Cheers,

Joe

kash - February 29, 2012

Hi Joe

Could you please share about the framwork, for which some library function can be re usable.

Joe Colantonio - March 6, 2012

kash » Hi – I will try to get working on this shortly. I don’t currently have a Service Test framework in place and have just stated to use the re-usable code functionality.

shameer - March 18, 2014

Do you currently have any service automation framework. If so could you please share it to my email id shameershamsudeen1@gmail.com
      Thanks for your support

Jagath - November 8, 2012

Thank you very much for helping lot of people over this site for free :) :)

few questions to you
1. Have you tried C# in ST, when it is best applicable according your experience
2. I am facing in MQ connectivity issue with out any reason even after adding proper mq clients inside ST lib folder ? did u try this ?
3. How effective ST scripts for performance testing in LR.. I am planning to go for load testing feature provided by ST and import these ST scripts in LR for performance , instead of creating LR scripts from SOAP or WSDL..

Please advise

Joe Colantonio - November 8, 2012

Jagath » Thanks Jagath! I have used C# in Service Test. I usually use it when I need custom functionality that is not available out of the box with ST. The problem is that there is no documentation for all the methods available. I have not had any luck with IBM MQ — I’ve only been able to get ST to work with ActiveMQ. If I had a choice I personally would rather script using LoadRunner and not use ST for performance testing. The main reason is that I’m more comfortable with LR and the ST scripts have an extra overhead the the LR web service scripts don’t.

Rahul - December 13, 2012

Do you know how we validate the webservice having array elements in the response. I want to achieve this using data driven test framework where the webservice input and output can be defined in a single excel file with for all the scenarios of an operation. With this I am trying to achieve singe click automation.
Please help.
Rahul

Rabidra - February 15, 2014

Hi Rahul,

I am also trying same,one data driven framework, capabilities of handling input and output from excel. One click Automation. please let me know if got any solution in this regard..

murty - June 15, 2013

I just started Service test 11.5 and i am able to create API tests with it, by intention is to write a driver script which calls all/any of these tests or actions based on the user input passed in excel sheet. So that user can execute the service whichever he want.
I have some knowledge on C#.but need some start up..please guide me or suggest me how to start with it or advise me any site which can help me..

umesh - September 27, 2013

I am working on UFT. how to write code on testusercode.cs
can any one provide me the basic code to validate the repsonse xml. I do not want to use checkpoint for this.

shameer s - March 15, 2014

Hi Joe, is there any webservice automation framework available using HP service test 11, if yes can u plz share that.

sudhakar - January 13, 2015

I would like to initiate my service test script from ALM using c# or vbs if possible.Can you please help me with a sample code. I worked in qtp earlier and have tried in qtp. But iam not sure how to do in service test

Joe Colantonio - January 13, 2015

Are you getting an error? Trying to understand your issues so you have existing code written in C# that works calling a QTP script but when you try calling a Service Test script it does not work? What version of Service Test?