HP Service Test 11 released?

HP Service Test 11

It looks like HP Service Test 11 — a tool used for SOA\Web Services testing — is available! I just checked the HP Software Product site and noticed that there are now references to Service Test VTD. I haven’t seen an official announcement yet, but frankly, I’m kind of excited.

I’ve seen the beta version of Service Test 11.00 at HP Universe, and it looks pretty cool. It has a modern drag and drop user-friendly UI, and looks much easier than ST 9.5. It’s also been completely redesigned — it no longer uses LoadRunner Vugen. It looks more like QTP now, and my guess is that the HP is leaning towards eventually merging it with QTP into one product. In any case, I just requested a copy, and will post more once I‘ve got it working. Stay tuned…

To read my review of HP Service Test 11 check out my post
Hp Service Test 11 Review or to see a video demo of HP Service Test 11 check out HP Service Test 11 in action

UPDATE!

HP SERVICE TEST 11.10 RELEASED

jamie phillips - September 22, 2010

Joe- I got ST 11 last week. I have gone through the tutorial and user guide. I trying to load up a WSDL and do some testing in our env right now. We us JMS- an ESB- and another JMS layer to get to the service so I am trying to figure out how to set up all of the parameters to make it work. keep you up to date? What env do you test web services in?

Joe Colantonio - September 22, 2010

Hi Jamie – great to hear you got it working for you! Have you tried using the ‘Data Drive’ functionality yet? Every time I click on it I get a ‘Specified cast is not valid’ error message. I was wondering if its just my machine. I also went through the tutorial and was able to setup some quick test in our .Net / InterSystems Cache environment. Still need to try somethings but overall – expect for that data drive issue — I’m really pleased with ST 11!

Shajahan - November 12, 2010

I am also getting the same error ‘Specified cast is not valid’. Please let me know if you got a resolution for the same.

Joe Colantonio - November 12, 2010

Hi Shajahan – what version of Microsoft Office do you have on your machine? I was getting the same behavior and realized that ST 11 was not
        compatible with Excel 2000. I upgraded to Excel 2003 and the error no longer appears.

Cool,
        Joe

Shajahan - November 12, 2010

Thanks for the information Joe.

Shajahan - November 12, 2010

I am trying to explore different features in Hp Service test 11. While doing the Data drive setup using Excel, am getting an error ‘Specified cast is not valid’. Please help me to resolve error.

Shajahan - November 12, 2010

Thanks for the information Joe.
But i am using Microsoft 2007 in my machine. I used an excel file that is saved in 2003 format. Please advice me if anything i have to change other than this.

Shajahan

jason - January 13, 2011

I am getting the same thing when doing data drive. I am using a fresh installed version of office 2007 using excel 2007 and get this error everytime. why can’t one thing ever work the way its supposed to ever just once in my life. The worst part is when errors like this happen during tutorials and your just trying to learn, now i gotta jump through hoops and debug or uninstall office and try 2003

Joe Colantonio - January 13, 2011

Hi Jason – after I installed Office 2003 on a XP machine Service Test has been running fine but it keeps crashing on my VMware windows7 instance. Not sure if its a Windows7 or a VM issue. I might open a ticket with HP.

Shajahan - January 14, 2011

Hi Jason/Joe,
      I was facing the same issue in data drive. I migrated my OS to Windows7 and now it is working fine with me.
      Shajahan

Joe Colantonio - January 17, 2011

@Shajahan: Hi Shajahan – what version of Office\Excel are you using? I’m trying to narrow down different configuration issues. Thanks! Joe

Shajahan - January 17, 2011

I am using Excel 2007 in Windows 7 and the data drive feature working fine properly. But it is not working fine with Windows xp + Excel 2007
          Shajahan

Jason - January 17, 2011

Actually let me clear things up. I am using windows 7 32 bit mode. I installed office 2k7 and was getting these errors. But after going through the service pack updates and a bajillion other office updates i tried again and it worked. So its working now. Just make sure you keep updating until your up to date.

Breski - February 15, 2011

Hello all!
Someone has some kind of training material from the service test?

Tks!

Joe Colantonio - February 15, 2011

@Breski: Hi – I’m not aware of any training for Service Test 11 yet — it is fairly new. HP does include a pretty good “Service Test Tutorial” doc that is under HP’s Programs\Documentation menu. Thanks for your question – let me know if I can help you with anything – Joe

Anonymous - March 19, 2012

There aint to training materials or classroom trainings for free. Matter of fact, I work for Hewlett Packard. There is a training provided by our Canadian partner that is $ 1500 2 day classroom training.

my job is to learn the tool and equip my testing division use it effectively. I have to learn it without that $1500 classroom training. I have experience in programming SOA with web services and restful services.
      Hopefully if I succeed in learning this tool, I’d inform Joe about my endeavour and he can have good demos on it. :)
      Thanks Joe!

“ST has a lot of undiscovred potential in it and somone needs to prepare the training materials” – I even passed this message to the R&D folks at HP who program this tool. But no response yet. :(

Anonymous - March 19, 2012

And looking through Joe’s work on Service Test, may be I should recommend the HP R&D to use his contribution.

Joe Colantonio - April 1, 2012

Anonymous » Thanks! I’m sure HP is working on Service Test training – if I get to go to HP Discover this year I will definitely ask about it.

Rama - August 7, 2013

is there a way to run/convert my HPST 9.5 scripts with HPST 11.2 version.

We recently migrated to 11.2 but I haven’t found a solution to execute my HPST 9.5 scripts with v11.2.

Appreciate if any one can provide the solution

Joe Colantonio - August 7, 2013

Hi Rama – that is a good question but the answer (that I know of) is no. Since previous version of ST are really Loadrunner scripts there is not a tool that converts them over to the new technology that ST 11.2 uses