VIDEO – QuickTest Pro – How to Test a REST Service

In this video I show a quick example on how to use QuickTest Pro 11 and WinHttp to test a REST service. The QTP web-addin is not needed for this example.

Below is the code used for this example:

Set myRestBody = XMLUtil.CreateXMLFromFile("C:\body.xml")
restRequest = myRestBody.ToString
url ="http://localhost:24240/HPFlights_REST/FlightOrders/"
contentType ="text/XML"
'1) Create reference to the WinHTTP request com object
 Set oWinHttp = CreateObject("WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5.1")
 '2) Open a HTTP connection to a HTTP resource
 oWinHttp.Open "POST", url, False
 '3) Add a HTTP request headers for endpoint and conent type
 oWinHttp.setRequestHeader "Content-Type", contentType 	oWinHttp.setRequestHeader "SOAPAction", url
'4) Send a HTTP request to the HTTP server with the header and body info
oWinHttp.Send restRequest
'5) Get response
 response = oWinHttp.ResponseText
'6) Close object reference
Set oWinHttp = Nothing
'7) print the response
print response

shaan - May 10, 2011

hi joe,
    i have a xml, public key and a private key. i would like to know if i can digitially sign this xml and then send it to a webservice using qtp. not the service test.

Joe Colantonio - May 12, 2011

shaan » Hi Shaan – I’m not sure how to do this. Have you taken a look at the AddAttachment or AddHeader Methods of the WebService object? Good Luck ~Joe

Sarma - June 13, 2011

Hi Joe
    thanks for you code. I have to authenticate before
    ‘4) Send a HTTP request to the HTTP server with the header and body info
    oWinHttp.Send restRequest
    How do i do that?

Sarma

Joe Colantonio - June 14, 2011

Sarma » Hi Sarma – you might want to try using the SetCredentials method. The SetCredentials method sets credentials to be used with an HTTP server, whether it is a proxy server or an originating server.

Const HTTPREQUEST_SETCREDENTIALS_FOR_SERVER = 0

WinHttpReq.SetCredentials “yourusername”, ourHTTPREQUEST_SETCREDENTIALS_FOR_SERVER

For more info check out: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384058(v=vs.85).aspx

Cheers,
      Joe

bhuvan - October 11, 2011

How to POST the REST webservice request which is available in xml format. Please do the needful on this.

Susu - February 16, 2012

Hi Joe

if “contentType = application/x-www-form-urlencoded”, the request format should be Post Form, and how to send a request?

Susu

Suman - May 21, 2012

Very thank you for you Video on how to test Rest Service. I did what you suggested. I am getting Response in Json format, But I need it in XML format. Is I am doing any mistakes? Please let me know your comments?
    For your information, I am getting response in XML format when i send the request through SOUP 3.6.1 service.

Joe Colantonio - June 2, 2012

Suman » Hi – Did you set the contentType = “text/XML”?

M Sivateja - June 5, 2012

hi Joe,

I am trying to test rest service.In response i am gettng internal error.please advice

Joe Colantonio - June 9, 2012

M Sivateja » Hi what rest service are you trying to test? Also is there anything else in the error msg or is it just internal error?

mamta - October 31, 2012

hi

while running the same example i am getting error at line number 5… Invalid character
    Line (5): “contentType =”application/json””.

can u please help on this

Balu - March 26, 2013

How can I send Authorization Key and Secret with my REST service?

Balu

Jas - April 18, 2013

I am trying to automate rest services API using QTP, which returns the response in JSON format. What are the changes to be done on the above sample script to perform a Search operation ( GET). I have modified the content type= “application/json”. Any help on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
    Jas

Sudheer - July 1, 2013

Hi Jas,

Did you come to know how to modify the code to receive the response. Please help me.

Thanks!!

Sudheer - July 1, 2013

As Jas mentioned, I am testing REST service which returns JSON format. What changes need to be done for ‘GET’ operation

Ranjith - September 27, 2013

One question, If I want to parameterize my rest request for different data inputs, how can we do that with above script.

Ranjith

gugapriya - October 3, 2014

I was trying to automate this restful service but when i use this code i was getting “The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required” … Does anyone have code to resolve this issue?