HP Diagnostics: How to Install and Configure a Java Probe with LoadRunner without Feeling Like You’ve Been to an HP Proctologist

In this video, I demonstrate the process of installing and integrating HP Diagnostics with LoadRunner to monitor a J2EE application, running on an Apache Tomcat server.

The install consists of 4 main steps:

1. Install HP Diagnostics

2. Install and configure the Java agent on the Tomcat server

3. Install the LoadRunner diagnostic add-in

4. Configure LoadRunner

After the Install:

After installation and configuration is complete, you’ll be able to monitor J2EE performance metrics from within a LoadRunner controller's performance scenario. What’s really cool is that you’ll have the ability to drill down on the J2EE metrics within the LoadRunner Analysis. After using HP Diagnostics just once, I was able to find and tell our developers about some SQL statements that were causing high response times. Without this integration, who knows how long it would have taken to track down that info.

Malay - March 6, 2011

Great stuff Joe,But there are some questions that pop up in my mind,like:
How does licensing work for diagnostic server and JAVA probe,are they different licenses or one single license?
If the licenses are different,how do we manage the licensing of JAVA probe ,in case Tomcat server is moved to some other machine?Do we need to have a different license or we can use the same!

Joe Colantonio - March 7, 2011

@Malay: Hi Malay – great question. You get a license for you Diagnostic server which is a pool of the maximum number of application servers and probe instances allowed. So the license is not java probe machine specific – if you had a probe on a tomcat machine and moved the server to another machine — as long as you removed the probe from the old tomcat server you could re-uses it on another server. Hope that makes sense. Cheers Joe

Malay - March 7, 2011

Thanks!

Mayank - March 10, 2011

Awesome stuff Joe…:-)…
I have one query if we need to run the probe to monitor our .net application,how different it would be compared to the JAva.
I believe we need to install .net probe on the servers ,but what extra settings need to be done ?

Joe Colantonio - March 10, 2011

@Mayank: Hi Mayank – good question – I have not tried the .Net probe yet, but I think I have a good idea for what my next blog post will be – stay tuned :)

Mayank - March 11, 2011

HI Joe ,Thanks :-).. I was wondering whether we need to install the collector set up too .In the Diagnostic installable I can see server,collectors and Agent installables seperately.
Or installing only Server and Agent will do.

HP Diagnostic: How To Configure a Java Agent on a JBoss Application Server — Joe Colantonio -- QuickTest Pro, Tech Geek, Bibliomanic, The Software Test Automation Imagineer - June 28, 2011

[…] a previous project, I was able to install the Java agent on an Apache Tomcat server without issue. For a subsequent project, I needed to install the agent on a JBOSS server. Since […]

Carlos - August 5, 2011

Hello Joe!

We are having some issues in configuring the Offline_XML file used to bring over the Metrics from the J2EE Probe into HP Analysis once collating the results from the scenario ran in the HP Controller. Can you please let us know what we are not configuring correctly in order to add to the default metrics shown in the Offline XML file. We would like to add CPU and Memory Usage to be displayed in HP Analysis for reporting purposes.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Carlos

Joe Colantonio - August 9, 2011

Carlos » Hi Carlos – you got me on that one. Give me a litle time to research and I’ll get back to you in a couple of days. I may have seen something in the HP Diag userguide but I need to confirm first. Cheers~Joe

Shivaji - August 15, 2014

Did you get any idea on the issue Carlos was facing? I am also unable to get any J2EE metrics in Analysis ( PC 11) although I can see it during run time. I think I need to edit the C:\MercuryDiagnostics\Server\etc\offline.xml file but am unable to figure out what to do there. Can you please help?

Joe Colantonio - August 21, 2014

Hmm I have not used HP Diagnostics in awhile, Are you trying to get the Profiler J2ee info? If I remember correctly the profiler cannot save results offline ; all data reporting is online, in real time

Syed Faisal Saeed - September 14, 2011

Will you pls. demonstrate from where we can install the java agent after successive installation of HP Diagnostics in Step 1

Malay - September 26, 2011

Is there any way to find the impact of Installing diagnostics on the App server.What I mean is that the app server’s performance will be impacted by the probe in JVM,how do we take that in consideration while doing performance analysis.??

Ankam - February 3, 2012

Adding JVM Parametres to activate Diagnostics in Weblogic

startWeblogic.sh needs to be change

if [ “${WLS_REDIRECT_LOG}” = “” ] ; then
echo “Starting WLS with line:”
echo “${JAVA_HOME}/bin/java ${JAVA_VM} ${MEM_ARGS} -Dweblogic.Name=${SERVER_NAME} -Djava.security.policy=${WL_HOME}/server/lib/weblogic.policy ${JAVA_OPTIONS} -Xbootclasspath/p:/opt/MercuryDiagnostics/JavaAgent/DiagnosticsAgent/classes/Sun/1.6.0_14/instr.jre -javaagent:/opt/MercuryDiagnostics/JavaAgent/DiagnosticsAgent/lib/probeagent.jar ${PROXY_SETTINGS} ${SERVER_CLASS}”
${JAVA_HOME}/bin/java ${JAVA_VM} ${MEM_ARGS} -Dweblogic.Name=${SERVER_NAME} -Djava.security.policy=${WL_HOME}/server/lib/weblogic.policy -Xbootclasspath/p:/opt/MercuryDiagnostics/JavaAgent/DiagnosticsAgent/classes/Sun/1.6.0_14/instr.jre -javaagent:/opt/MercuryDiagnostics/JavaAgent/DiagnosticsAgent/lib/probeagent.jar ${JAVA_OPTIONS} ${PROXY_SETTINGS} ${SERVER_CLASS}

And you will find this arguments while starting the server you will find with Memory arguements in log.

Scott Marriott - April 4, 2013

Hi Joe, after you have setup the metrics is it possible to produce reports from these? I know you can take snap shots but wanted to produce some reports instead. thanks

Joe Colantonio - April 4, 2013

Scott Marriott » Hi Scott – once the LoadRunner test has the HP diagnostics integrated with it all the agent information is available in the LoadRunner Analysis piece. So you can create the same reports in the Analysis that you normally would and including the diagnostic info. Hope this answers your question.

Scott Marriott - April 4, 2013

thanks for that. I am at a loss to be honest, just started at a new clients site and have been asked to setup weekly and monthly health checks from HP Diags but have no clue about it. All the metrics are set up for multiple WAS servers already. Any help would be much appreciated :(

jag - April 17, 2013

just want to know whether we are doing correctly configuring Java agent installation and configure JVM and also WebSphere App Servers.
We have Host Server A, where we have App1, App2 App3 installed. Each one has its own webserver with Websphere 8.0 named as AppServer1, Appserver2, AppServer3.
1. Installed Java Agent Host Server A, Path /opt/MercuryDiagnostics/JavaAgent/DiagnosticsAgent/bin
2. ./setupModule.sh
a. Diagnostics Java Agent working with an HP Diagnostics Server [O]:X
a. Java Agent Name :HostserverA_App1
b. Java Agent Group [Default]:QA_Group
c. Diagnostics Server Name [localhost]: Diagnostics server addresss
d. Diagnostics Server Port [2006]:
Etc…
Then did instrumentation from same path /opt/MercuryDiagnostics/JavaAgent/DiagnosticsAgent/bin
3./jreinstrumenter.sh -i /usr/ws/java/jre
it generated below path.. and used in WebSphere web server – AppServer1, AppServer2 and 3 since all are in Same host.
-Xbootclasspath/p:/opt/MercuryDiagnostics/JavaAgent/DiagnosticsAgent/classes/IBM/1.6.0/instr.jre -javaagent:/opt/MercuryDiagnostics/JavaAgent/DiagnosticsAgent/lib/probeagent.jar -Xshareclasses:none
My question is will it be only one installation for the Host server where all the Apps are on the same box.
How do I get each probe or identify each probe on Diagnostics server? Here all the apps are on same Host server.
I can see some stats on Diag server with Probe HostserverA_App1 which one created above at step 2. But am I getting correct or not totally confused.
What about the other App2 and 3 ? Can I install another Java agent or another setup to created another probe at same location?
In this case In my company we are using one JRE for all JVM’s.

Thank you in advance.

mquadri - May 17, 2013

Hi Jag,
We are having same issue with WAS 6.1 for HP java agent setup, we added the bootclasspath under the JVM definitions but nothing in the console.

jag - August 21, 2013

How to configure a Tomcat apache on Linux OS. I have installed and instrumented the jre. I added the jre Instrumentation path with probe id in catalina.sh file on host of appserver. But its not showing any metrics in HP Diagnostics. It is showing the java agent name that added during .setupmodule.sh on host and not showing probe for appserver. Please some one help. Thank you in advance.

Mohan Krishna - September 17, 2013

Can you please clarify regarding Oracle 11i Diagnostics, how to integrate them with HP loadrunner/performance center?

For what kind of applications – architecture will Oracle 11i Diagnostics configured, does that applications can use web(http/html) ?

Joe Colantonio - September 24, 2013

I have not used Oracle 11i Diagnostics before – anyone else have any experience/advice for us on best way to use Oracle 11i Diagnostics with LR?

[BLOCKED BY STBV] Performance Testing Basics – What is Throughput? | Joe Colantonio - Test Automation Selenium-UFT-QTP-SoapUI-ALM_LoadRunner and More! - April 3, 2015

[…] In this particular test, requests were being processed by the web server, but in the back end work was being queued up due to a database issue. As additional requests were being sent, the back end queue kept growing, and users’ response times increased. To learn more about HP Diagnostics check out how I configured LoadRunner to be able to get these metrics in my video: HP Diagnostics – How to Install and Configure a Java Probe with LoadRunner […]

Rajan - August 23, 2016

Joe, that was very helpful.

I want to use LR diagnostics & currently I have set it up. What I am facing here is after testing connection through LR Addin, when I try to select probe, I cannot see any probe reflecting while checking on the diagnostic server machine I can locate probe on http://yourservername:2006/registrar/health.

I have re-checked on the instrumentation part as well, found no luck.
Can you please through some light on what could be the possible miss outs or how it can be fixed?

Rajan