HP’s Business Process Testing (BPT) in a Nutshell

Overview
In this video I cover HP's Business Process Testing. Business Process Testing, also know as BPT, is comprised of a number of components, and these components are the building blocks of a test. Components are reusable actions or modules that perform a specific task(s) in an application.

Example
In my application, I have actions like login, logout, new appointment, and a new registration. All of these would be considered “components.”
A new business process test would involve taking these components and stringing them together to create the functionality needed for a test.
All this is done within Quality Center.

Build once use many times
Due to their reusability, the same components can be used in multiple business process tests.

In a nutshell
In a nutshell, BPT is just a fancy UI wrapper for QTP that makes it easy for non-technical people to work with automated tests within Quality Center
without having any particular knowledge of QTP or coding.

Alan Hatcher - June 27, 2011

I’d suggest replacing “create” with the term “work with” in your last paragraph for this post. The new model that HP uses is the QA Analyst creating tests with components, but an Automation Engineer creates the Automated Components for them.

Joe Colantonio - June 27, 2011

Alan Hatcher » Hi Alan – good point! I made the change – thanks.

sharmila - April 4, 2013

What is biggest advantage in using BPT tests rather than QTP tests. I mean here the QTP tests that are created using functions and not using Descriptive programming or recording objects.
Sharmila.

Joe Colantonio - April 4, 2013

sharmila » Re-usability is probably the biggest benefit. You basically are created reusable building blocks of functionality that can be combined to create numerous test flows.

Joe - August 25, 2016

So how to leverage BPT and LeanFT? Is there a way to define a component that is a LeanFT one or are they 2 different architectures/paradigm and just don’t mix?

Joe

Sundaram - February 21, 2017

You are saying that BPT is a fancy UI wrapper for QTP. But I feel slightly different but I could be wrong. I have seen demos where they use BPT just to form a test case by choosing from the different components as required, and then do the tests manually, and clicking the green arrow so that the control goes to the next component and they again test the next step manually and so on. No automation or QTP is used.

So I think BPT can exist even without QTP. As I said, I am very new to this and I could be wrong. Would be great if someone could correct me or reconfirm what I think.
Thanks !