QTP – Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Installing HP’s QuickTest Pro/Functional Testing

Make sure you have local administrator privileges on the computer before installing QTP. Also if you are installing on a windows 7 machine make sure to right click on installs and choose the ‘Run as Administrator' option

Minimum System Requirements for QTP:

For a complete list of all supported operating systems, browsers, and development environments and patches, check out my post —QTP 11 Support Matrix with Patch Updates— which I regular keep up to date.

[smartads]
  • Computer/Processor:  Pentium IV or higher microprocessor (minimum 1 Ghz)
  • Operating System:  Windows XP Service Pack 2
  • Memory:  Minimum of 1GB when no more than three add-ins are loaded simultaneously.
  • Additional memory is required when loading more add-ins and when using the Save movie to results option to capture movies during run sessions.
  • Color Settings:  High Color (16 bit).
  • Graphics Card:  Graphics card with 64 MB video memory
  • Free Hard Disk Space:  1 GB of free disk space for application files and folders.
  • You must also have an additional 120 MB of free disk space on the system disk (the disk on which the operating system is installed).

Browser:  Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1 or a later supported version.

First get a copy of QTP – two options:

1. Or download directly from HP support:
  • select the Downloads tab
  • then select Software Updates
  • then select MyUpdates link
  • Select SAID 1000000000 and check the box at the bottom of the page and click Submit
  • Expand Quality Center
  • Check HP Functional Testing 11 and select Get Updates at bottom of the page
  • Select GetSoftware
  • Select the Download Directly button, sometimes you have to hit this twice for the download to start.

Time to install QTP

1. Once you have the QTP .iso file you can either:
  • Right click the .iso file and extract it using a zip tool like 7-zip. Once extracted double click on setup.exe (If you are installing on Win7 right-click on setup.exe and select “Run as Administrator”.)

• Use a tool like Virtual CloneDrive and dbl click on .iso file to start.

Virtual CloneDrive works and behaves just like a physical CD/DVD drive, however it exists only virtually. Image files generated with CloneDVD or CloneCD can be mounted onto a virtual drive from your hard-disk or from a network drive and used in the same manner as inserting them into a normal CD/DVD drive.

2. On the QuickTest Professional screen click on the “QuickTest Professional Setup” link.(If at any time during the install you get a security warning dialog click on the ‘Run' button)

3. If any prerequisites programs are needed by QTP a HP QuickTest Professional 11.0 prereq dialog will appear. Select and install each item that appears in this window. For example:

4. Click Next> on the “Welcome to HP QuickTest Professional 11 .00 Installer” window

5. On the ‘License Agreement' screen click ‘I agree” and Next

6. On the ‘Customer Information' screen fill in your name and organization. Click Next

7. For the ‘Custom Setup' select that Add-Ins you want to include. Don't worry you can always go back and add more add-ins later.

8. On the ‘Select Installation Folder' take the default or chose a folder location to install QTP to. Click Next

9. On the ‘Confirm Installation' screen click Next

10. The ‘Installing HP QuickTest Professional 11.00 screen appears:

11. Click ‘Finish' on the ‘Installation Complete' screen

12. On the ‘Additional Installation Requirements' screen click ‘Run”

13. The License Type screen should appear. You need to choose either :

• Seat License: A seat license is specific to the computer on which is installed. QTP comes with a 30-day demo period. To get a permanent license you need to contact HP and send them you locking-code and they will provide you with a permanent seat license key. To install a seat license click Next>. A screen will appear with your machine's unique locking code.

Once you send this Locking code to HP you should get an email back with your machines permanent QTP license keys. For example:

Hp License Key Example

• Concurrent License: If your company has a concurrent license server setup have them give you the server name or IP. To install a concurrent license click on the ‘concurrent license' option and click Next>. In the Concurrent License Server dialog supply the license server name or IP. Then click Next

14. The HP QTP readme should appear

15. There should now be a QTP icon on your desktop dbl click to start.

First time starting QTP

1. When you start QTP select the Add-in that you want to load up. Make sure that QTP is started before you start the application you want to test.
  2. If you plan on using with QTP click on QTP's Tools>Options menu. Click on Run and make sure you select ‘Allow other HP products to run tests and components' and click ‘Apply'

For Quality Center integration

• Go to http://yourqcserver/qcbin/
  • Click on the Add-Ins page

• Download and install the following :
    • Install HP Quality Center Connectivity then click ‘More HP Quality Center Add-ins'

Install the QuickTest Professional Add-In

What if you need to install another add-in after installing QTP?

To install another add-in:

1. dbl click on the QTP setup.exe again
  2. Click Next on the “Welcome to HP QuickTest Professional 11.00 Installer”
  3. Select ‘Modify' from the “Maintenance Type” screen
  4. This will bring you to the Customer Setup – select your new add-in to install and complete the installation process

Have fun – you should now be ready to automate.

Jim - May 4, 2012

Joe,

I was wondering if you have ever encountered the following error on a Win 7 64bit SP1 Enterprise edition install of QTP 11.

Module C\Program Files(x86)\HP\Quick Test Professional\bin\TableVerUI.dll failed to register. HResult – 2147024891

For some reason the dll will not register. I tried to manually register the dll and it will not register via regsvr32.
I have tried all the steps in your tutorial, went through the QTP 11 Install guide and checked most of the forums for any kind of an answer but no luck.

Seems like it may be caused by either the MDAC 2.8 prerequisite. I understand that this has been changed to WDAC for Win 7 and comes installed but I have saw some other errors reported installing software other than QTP that needs this. Any input or direction on where to look would be appreciated.

QTP11 – Support for Web 2.0 Controls: GWT, Dojo, YahooUI and ASPAjax — Joe Colantonio -- Test Automation Geek | Bibliomaniac | Software Imagineer - June 14, 2012

[…] the QTP Web 2.0 add-in. For more information on how to install/uninstall QTP check out my post: Everything you Ever Wanted to Know About Installing HP's QTP TweetRelated […]

Shirish - September 6, 2012

I am facing issue where I have installed QTP 11 and QC11 client on XP-SP3, IE8 with JRE 6 same as above steps. But before installing QTP I checked with QC that from QC can we run existing QTP script or not. It was starting the QC scheular service. But after QTP installed then getting error “Class not register” from QC not even start any schedular service, so not able to run script from QC test set. From QTP I am able to connect QC and run the script by opening it.
I dont know the problem I tried many things after googling, but no success. Even Java -version gives Java Virtiual Machine not created due to above issue. I have raised ticket with HP so meanwhile thought will ask you as well, did you came across this kkind issue? I really appericiate if you could help me in this.

Joe Colantonio - September 11, 2012

Shirish » From the HP KB for The error message “Class not registered”. This is received when the user tries to launch a QuickTest Professional script from the Test Script tab. The message is also displayed in the Status field when running the script from the TestRun Scheduler.

Diagnosis: This happens when the QuickTest Professional remote agent is unregistered.
    Register the QTP remote agent (AQTRmtAgent.exe)

1. Verify that you have QuickTest Professional installed on this machine.
    2. Register the QuickTest Professional remote agent on the machine that has QuickTest Professional installed.

Go to Start -> Run, and type in the path where the QuickTest Professional remote agent is installed.

Example:
    “C:\Program Files\HP\QuickTest Professional\bin”

Unregister the remote agent (AQTRmtAgent.exe).

Example:
    “C:\Program Files\HP\QuickTest Professional\bin\AQTRmtAgent.exe” -unregserver

Reregister the remote agent.

Example:
    “C:\Program Files\HP\QuickTest Professional\bin\AQTRmtAgent.exe” -regserver

Note:
    Substitute the path above with the correct path for your specific installation of QuickTest Professional.

You should now be able to run QuickTest Professional tests from Quality Center. However, if the issue persists, please proceed with the steps below:

1. Uninstall QC Client Components. Please refer to Document ID: KM176290 -How to uninstall the TestDirector or Quality Center client components.
    2. Uninstall the QuickTest Add-in for Quality Center from “Control Panel->Add/Remove Program”.
    3. Clean uninstall/reinstall of QuickTest Professional. Please refer to Document ID: KM171368 – How to perform a clean uninstall/reinstall of QuickTest Professional.
    4. Reinstall the QuickTest Add-in for Quality Center.
    5. Launch QuickTest Professional and make sure it connect to the Quality Center.

david - January 8, 2013

Hi Joe, wanted to find out if you encountered or know of any issues when installing QTP Concurrent License Server on Virtual Machine. As part of Automation Lab, should there be any problems with a set-up that has QTP machines on VM’s connecting with Concurrent Server on VM as well? are there any requirements that would limit the concurrent license installation to a psychical system rather then a VM?

Joe Colantonio - January 8, 2013

david »Hi David. What version of the Sentinel LM License server are you using? “Technically” HP does not support installing versions lower than 8.4.0.900 on a virtual machine. That being said I’ve been using version 8.3.900 on a VM for my concurrent license server for years without issues. HP claims that prior versions installed on VM may have issues like performance problems relating to transferring packets over the network. I have noticed on my QTP lab machines (also VM) do take awhile to start up, so not sure if that is related to this issue. I just upgraded to UFT 11.50 but have not upgraded my License Server to 8.4.0.900 yet. I’ll let you know if that helps performance.https://www.joecolantonio.com/wp-admin/edit-comments.php?comment_status=all#comments-form

mark - January 22, 2013

Damn….Just installing this software sounds more difficult than it should be. You spend half your time contending with the licence manager.

I had similar problems with Rational tools.

Purvish - February 15, 2013

Hi Joe, I am getting this error after installing the QTP, I even reinstalled but no luck. I have windows 7 and IE9 64-Bit. I have also installed all the patches, please help. Thx

The test run cannot continue due to an unrecoverable error.
Failed to run script.
Description: The specified module could not be found.
Function file: (null)
Line (0): “(null)

Joe Colantonio - February 16, 2013

Purvish »Check the administrative privileges on the machine. Make sure that you log into the machine with full administrator privileges and run the QuickTestProfessional file again.

krishna - February 20, 2015

I am also facing the same issue while executing the script in UFT12.1 trial version in Win 7 64 bit version. I am having full administrator access for the system. even though i am getting this error message. Please confirm i need to install any patches.

Gvs - February 23, 2013

We are testing around 20 applications and we are using BPT, QTP and QC for automated test execution. Individual desktops used by team members for executing and result analysis. We would like to reduce test execution time by executing test cases over centralized solution, instead of each team member executing them on their own desktops. Can VMWARE, QTP and QC is a solution? IS QTP and VMWARE can seemingly work together? Will we have any technical challenges?
We have huge test bed. Approximately 5000 test cases are automated using BPT/QTP in each application.

Thanks/Gvs

Joe Colantonio - February 23, 2013

Gvs » Hi – we have around 20 VMS that we run all out automation test on both QTP and BPT. As long as you reboot the machines a few times a week you should be fine. Also make sure that you create VMs that have enough memory. We have not had and VM releated issues. Has anyone else run into any issue with their VMs?

Chris - March 11, 2013

I’m looking to implement a server running UFT on VMs for the team here to use. You say make sure the VMs have enough memory, would you be able to give me an idea of the spec a machine should have? Is a 32-bit os sufficient (with 3GB ram) or do I need 64bit with xx Ram? How much?

I guess it depends on what I intend to do, so lets say I intend run 10 VMs concurrently.

Chris

Joe Colantonio - March 11, 2013

Chris » Hi Chris 3GB of ram should be fine. HP recommends for a standard QTP install to have at least 1GB.

Niladri - March 11, 2013

I need a quick information regarding QTP 10 seat license. Currently seat license is installed in a machine having Windows Vista OS. is it possible to use the same seat license key if OS of the same machine is upgraded windows 7. Does the OS upgradation affects the machine locking code–I am bit confused regarding that.
Thanks in advance for your help and answer.

Sona - April 2, 2013

I have been running QTP(Ver11 )scripts via QC on Vm(Win Xp) machines seemlessly for long time ,but recently started seeing the acess denied error on some of the machines.
    I have done all the DCOM settins check ,set up from QTP and QC stand point looks ok .i tried to even unregsiter and register to Remote agent .
    I have read it somewhre tht the remote agent might be corrupt ,could this be the possibility for this error ?. Let me know if there anuthing else that I could do to resolve this issue .

Joe Colantonio - April 4, 2013

Sona » I have seen some of our VMs with QTP become corrupt but I have never been able to figure out why. I usually just delete the VM and create a new one to resolve issues.

murty - October 8, 2013

any one faced this problem please share the resolution,

to install a Seat license i followed below steps
1. Downloaded the Train/alleviation version
2. Applied the seat license key to HP
3. installed the license key on it.
4. Able to work around 4 months successfully and not getting any issues
5. After installing a patch and re launching QTP it is throwing license error.

When i contact hp support they are saying 2 versions
1. I have installed it on VM as seat license not support in vm so got error.
2. Insted of installing valid media(QTP s/w) i have installed evalution version thats y i got this error..but if this is the case i should get this error after 1 month..

kindly replay me if any one know any part of my query..now i am not able to decide how to proceed whether i need to shift qtp from vm to physical or whether i need to install right media (insted of evalution is there any fixed licensed softwares) or both..

Dinu - October 11, 2013

I have a ALM licensing qurery. When ALM is installed on Machine and trigger the scripts into multiple VM machines , How will ALM licenses work?

say for instance , If I install ALM on a Machine “A” and trigger QTP scripts into remote VMs Machines “B” , “C” , “D” using machine “A”. In this case , How many ALM licenses(1 or 3) will be utilized during the executio

Joe Colantonio - October 23, 2013

Not sure how the ALM license works. We have an enterprise license and I’m able to point to any VM in our lab that has QTP and run without issues. Does anyone know if there is an ALM license restriction on this?

kishore - December 27, 2013

hi Joe

How to change the QTP settings for BPT frame work?

-kishore.gp

Suva - December 29, 2013

HI Joe,

I have installed QTP 11 on Windows 8 today and tried to record some test but it was not recording anything. Then i came to know that QTP 11 does not support Windows 8.
So i installed virtual machine(version 10) on my laptop with OS Windows 7. I was trying to install QTP 11 on my VM , but while installing it is giving me an error as below :

Error attempting to open the source file:
C:\QTP\HP_QTP-E_11.0_Eval_Pack_Eng_SW_E-Media_TF169-15001\QTP-E Evaluation\QTP-Essentials 11 Installation Files\Quick Test\MSI\System32\atl71.dll
System error code: 3

Please help me out in above issue.

Joe Colantonio - January 3, 2014

I’m not aware of any known issue with that dll and error code 3. Are you sure you are installing with admin rights and you have UAC turned off? Check out my post on the top 6 reasons for install issues for more info:

Shelma Joseph - April 13, 2014

Your blog is really wonderful and very informative.Thank you for keep on postings.
During UFTinstallation on my local client, I have faced sentinel license server connection issues. The qtp client was not conneting to the concurrent license server which is installed on our client’s server located in US. The Sentinel License server version used in my qtp server is 8.0.2. Is the problem is because of this version as UFT needed 8.4.0 version? If so,please let me know how can I upgrade the license server so that UFT willl work on my Windows -7 system. Kindly guide me, as we are in urgency of UFT11.5 version.

Shelma

venu - February 5, 2015

We have QTP license server installed in Windows XP and now we want to upgrade that to windows 7. Let me know if the same license key will work or not. will the license key depend on the operating system.

Joe Colantonio - February 11, 2015

I honestly don’t know. I just looked at the License Server install guide and I don’t see this info in there. I