Make sure you have local administrator privileges on the computer before installing QTP. Also if you are installing on a windows 7 machine make sure to right click on installs and choose the ‘Run as Administrator' option
Minimum System Requirements for QTP:
For a complete list of all supported operating systems, browsers, and development environments and patches, check out my post —QTP 11 Support Matrix with Patch Updates— which I regular keep up to date.[smartads]
- Computer/Processor: Pentium IV or higher microprocessor (minimum 1 Ghz)
- Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 2
- Memory: Minimum of 1GB when no more than three add-ins are loaded simultaneously.
- Additional memory is required when loading more add-ins and when using the Save movie to results option to capture movies during run sessions.
- Color Settings: High Color (16 bit).
- Graphics Card: Graphics card with 64 MB video memory
- Free Hard Disk Space: 1 GB of free disk space for application files and folders.
- You must also have an additional 120 MB of free disk space on the system disk (the disk on which the operating system is installed).
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1 or a later supported version.
First get a copy of QTP – two options:
- Download QTP either the evaluation version from HP: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/software/software-product.html?compURI=tcm:245-936981&pageTitle=functional-testing
- Or download directly from HP support:
- sign in using your id
- select the Downloads tab
- then select Software Updates
- then select MyUpdates link
- Select SAID 1000000000 and check the box at the bottom of the page and click Submit
- Expand Quality Center
- Check HP Functional Testing 11 and select Get Updates at bottom of the page
- Select GetSoftware
- Select the Download Directly button, sometimes you have to hit this twice for the download to start.
Time to install QTP
- Once you have the QTP .iso file you can either:
- Right click the .iso file and extract it using a zip tool like 7-zip. Once extracted double click on setup.exe (If you are installing on Win7 right-click on setup.exe and select “Run as Administrator”.)
- Use a tool like Virtual CloneDrive and dbl click on .iso file to start.
Virtual CloneDrive works and behaves just like a physical CD/DVD drive, however it exists only virtually. Image files generated with CloneDVD or CloneCD can be mounted onto a virtual drive from your hard-disk or from a network drive and used in the same manner as inserting them into a normal CD/DVD drive.
2. On the QuickTest Professional screen click on the “QuickTest Professional Setup” link.(If at any time during the install you get a security warning dialog click on the ‘Run' button)
3. If any prerequisites programs are needed by QTP a HP QuickTest Professional 11.0 prereq dialog will appear. Select and install each item that appears in this window. For example:
4. Click Next> on the “Welcome to HP QuickTest Professional 11 .00 Installer” window
5. On the ‘License Agreement' screen click ‘I agree” and Next
6. On the ‘Customer Information' screen fill in your name and organization. Click Next
7. For the ‘Custom Setup' select that Add-Ins you want to include. Don't worry you can always go back and add more add-ins later.
8. On the ‘Select Installation Folder' take the default or chose a folder location to install QTP to. Click Next
9. On the ‘Confirm Installation' screen click Next
10. The ‘Installing HP QuickTest Professional 11.00 screen appears:
11. Click ‘Finish' on the ‘Installation Complete' screen
12. On the ‘Additional Installation Requirements' screen click ‘Run”
13. The License Type screen should appear. You need to choose either :
- Seat License: A seat license is specific to the computer on which is installed. QTP comes with a 30-day demo period. To get a permanent license you need to contact HP and send them you locking-code and they will provide you with a permanent seat license key. To install a seat license click Next>. A screen will appear with your machine's unique locking code.
Once you send this Locking code to HP you should get an email back with your machines permanent QTP license keys. For example:
Concurrent License: If your company has a concurrent license server setup have them give you the server name or IP. To install a concurrent license click on the ‘concurrent license' option and click Next>. In the Concurrent License Server dialog supply the license server name or IP. Then click Next
14. The HP QTP readme should appear
15. There should now be a QTP icon on your desktop dbl click to start.
First time starting QTP
- When you start QTP select the Add-in that you want to load up. Make sure that QTP is started before you start the application you want to test.
- If you plan on using with QTP click on QTP's Tools>Options menu. Click on Run and make sure you select ‘Allow other HP products to run tests and components' and click ‘Apply'
For Quality Center integration
- Go to http://yourqcserver/qcbin/
- Click on the Add-Ins page
- Download and install the following :
- Install HP Quality Center Connectivity then click ‘More HP Quality Center Add-ins'
Install the QuickTest Professional Add-In
What if you need to install another add-in after installing QTP?
To install another add-in:
- dbl click on the QTP setup.exe again
- Click Next on the “Welcome to HP QuickTest Professional 11.00 Installer”
- Select ‘Modify' from the “Maintenance Type” screen
- This will bring you to the Customer Setup – select your new add-in to install and complete the installation process
Have fun – you should now be ready to automate.