QTP 11 – WinCheckBox Error “The operation cannot be performed” – HOTFIX QTP_00850

Issue:

You receive the error “The operation cannot be performed” when using the Set function on a WinCheckBox object.

Cause:

If you have installed either patch “QTPWEB_00073 – Add Support for IE in Protected Mode” or “QTPWEB_00078 – Internet Explorer 9 support”

Fix:

HP has a hotfix available QTP_00850. To get the hotfix either request it from HP support or you can download it from https://www.joecolantonio.com/downloads

Anish Pillai - September 12, 2011

Thanks for this info.

I would like to know one more thing Joe. Can anyone request any hotfix/patch from HP support? Or only the people who have purchased the license can request for it?

Can people with trial license get it from HP?

Anish Pillai - September 17, 2011

Thanks for this info.. :)

Jaya - August 24, 2012

Thanks Sharing Very Usefull information all the time,
Currently i struck up with handling Pop up window on Firefox in my scripts, when searched about this, i could see your post and had used Handledialog feature but still using the below line of code i am getting Operation Can not be performed error i just want to click on OK button on a dialog box,
Note: i have installed another hot fix qtp 00805 patch installed on my local machine.
Browser(“”).Handledialog micok.
basically the pop up window is saving a file to local.. please suggest me any resolution on this
thanks in advance.

Joe Colantonio - August 24, 2012

Jaya » Hi – is this a typo Browser(“”).Handledialog micok ? micok is not a valid action – if the ok button has focus you should send a micReturn: For example: Browser(“Joe”).Dialog(“Joe”).Type micReturn

Vijay - August 29, 2012

Your blog has really saved my effort in investigating the technical issues related to QTP. In fact i ran into this Wincheckbox issue and quickly i got the tip. Thanks Joe! you’r the best….!

Vijay

Rafael - September 24, 2012

Hello there,
maybe it’s nice to know that this patch also helps with the VbCheckBox-Objects in Visual Basic Applications. Thank you for the hint with this patch!

Mark - February 6, 2013

Hey Joe,

Awesome website.
I had this problem, and patch 850 fixed it.
Now, because QTP seems to be nothing but a random event generator….the problem is back.
I still have 00078 installed, and I still have 850 installed.
Sooooo…..any ideas?
Mark

Mark - February 25, 2013

FYI… Uninstall/reinstall of 850 fixed the error…for a while.

Now the error is back, reinstall does not help.
    Also, the error went from 1 in 10 chance of happening to 100% chance, AND now it’s happening in a WinEdit box in addition to the WinCheckBox field.

Fun with QTP! Random errors for no reason…gotta love it!

Maybe if they charged more for the product, they could produce something that worked…

Any ideas appreciated….

Sana - March 27, 2015

Thanks a lot for sharing such a helpful information.
Is there any portal available where I can ask my queries related to QTP?