QTP – Learning to Program with QTP – Video 0 “Hello World!”

If else

First Video in Series “Learning to Program with QTP”

This is the first video in my series Learning to program with QTP. Today we are going to take a look at three basics concepts:

• Setting up QTP
  • Terminology
  • Some good practices to follow when coding in QTP

More QTP Programming Post

QTP – Learning to Program Using QTP – Variables

QTP/UFT – Making Decisions Using If..Then and Select Case Statements

Clean Test Code – Test Automation Code is Real Code

Slade Burroughs - March 12, 2012

Great starting video. I like the pace of the video in that you cover the basics quickly and don’t spend too much time on one item, thus allowing you to cover more, especially while you are just doing the basics.

Great way of going back and showing the Object Spy, how you used it and why.

Thanks for putting in the effort to make these videos.

Joe Colantonio - March 12, 2012

Slade Burroughs » Thanks Slade! I was worried about the pace – the video was originally 25 minutes until I edited it down to 9 so your feedback is good to know. Cheers~Joe

Tester - March 12, 2012

Nice work Joe..please keep it up..It will help me lot to learning and exploring QTP..
Thanks very much ..

Joe Colantonio - March 13, 2012

Tester » Thank you!!

Navnath Patil - March 13, 2012

Very nice start I would say, very much useful for a QTP beginner.

Thanks ans keep posting,
Navnath Patil.

Joe Colantonio - March 13, 2012

Navnath Patil » Thanks for the feedback Navnath!!

mike pietsch - March 14, 2012

Joe,

I just recently stumbled onto your site, which surprises me because I have been using QTP for a long, long time and it seems like I am constantly looking for good resources such as yours.

The video is pretty good. I especially appreciated that you didn’t use old, antiquated, and difficult to work with Hungarian notation; I appreciate doesExist as a variable name. :)

I think you presented some excellent concepts that should be understood from the beginning of anyone’s experience in using QTP:
1) Expert Mode! by far one of the worst things about QTP is keyword mode – the product could only be improved if Expert mode was the only option.
2) White space – excellent concept to push from start.
3) Comments. I see far too much QTP code that has no comments at all, bizarre variable names, strange logic, no formatting, and then to top it off, NO COMMENTS. Glad to see you set that as a basic concept.

I might suggest you make it a point to teach the importance of
Option Explicit
in the next video as I have found more than a few other programmers mistakes by simply including it.

Overall, a very excellent start.
Now if we could only get a free version of QTP for the community to use and expand out of HP – something that does web only, no plug in support, no connectivity to QC/ALM, etc.. At $6K, nobody takes QTP home to learn and play with it. Without that, everyone who starts with QTP had better know all the stuff you have in the video before they have the tool purchased for them.

Joe Colantonio - March 15, 2012

mike pietsch » Great feedback Mike – thanks! I’m definitely going to cover OPTION Explicit as it has helped my find lots of mistakes in my functions also. I agree I wish HP had an “education” version. I know they do not have a lite version of QTP called “QTP Essentials” but not sure how much it cost. Cheers~Joe

Srinivas - March 20, 2012

Hi Joe.

It is really very helpful…Thanks

Joe Colantonio - March 20, 2012

Srinivas » Thanks Srinivas!

Dinesh S - April 12, 2012

I appreciate your presentation and liked the way it was presented…..Expecting more explanatory videos from you:)

Joe Colantonio - April 12, 2012

Dinesh S » Thanks Dinesh! I’m still debating if I should make a video for each post so its good to know that the videos are helpful. Videos take a long time for me to edit.

Dinesh S - April 14, 2012

Yes, videos take long time to edit but since 2 years I was searching for QTP video tutorials and practical presentation to get some idea. Your videos are best among many videos presented by people in Youtube. If you don’t mind I need some video presentation on checkpoints and output values like how to use them manually by writing code as well as by recording.

Thanks in Advance, Joe:)

Dev - April 15, 2012

Hi Joe, This is very nice, Simple to understand video for Beginner level, This is the best video I have came across which useful for beginner level QTP folks. you explained basics in very effective way, Short and Sweet., Great teaching style, technique. You are a good teacher along with Engineer, Its rare to have both skills….:)

Joe Colantonio - April 15, 2012

Dev » Wow thanks Dev! I appreciate it! Cheers~Joe

sweetsandy - June 17, 2012

Really nice work Joe! It was very easy to follow as I am a total beginner.

One suggestion though – I had trouble seeing if it’s a “.’ (period) or a “,” (comma) in your videos because the font is so small and not HD. If you can speak out loud what you’re typing, it would be great!

Everything is awesome!! I can’t wait for you next videos in this series!!

Joe Colantonio - June 20, 2012

sweetsandy » Thanks for the advice – I will try speak out more what is being typed for the code examples.

Daniel - August 31, 2012

Am just getting started to learn testing, Thanks a lot for the tips