QTP 9.5 BPT- How to Fix ‘Catastrophic Errors’ in QC when running long BPT tests

Catastrophic Error!

In Quality Center are you seeing intermittent ‘Catastrophic Errors' when running long BPT tests? If so this HP Hotfix might help.

QTP_00826

I was asked about this hotfix in the comments of another post and rather than answer the question and have it get lost in the comments section I thought it would be better to make this a quick post.

What's the issue?

If this hotfix is not installed, and if you run a step that takes a really long time to run in QC, QC might throw a ‘catastrophic error'. The test will be marked as failed and QTP 9.5 will continue to run the test after the long step has finished.

What's the fix?

Hotfix QTP_00826 – ‘Prevent Failure of QuickTest Tests Run from Quality Center When a Single Step Takes a Long Time' ensures that QTP tests that are run from Quality Center do not fail when a single step takes a long time.

Mic.ini file change required for this hotfix to work

In order for this hotfix to work you also need to set or add the flag HandleLongTrans=1 under the [RemoteAgent] section in the mic.ini file. The mic.ini file is usually located under the Program Files\HP\QuickTest Professional\bin.

Mic.ini file example:

How to get HotFix QTP_00826

In general the recommend way to get a hotfix is to request it from HP support. You can also download it from https://www.joecolantonio.com/downloads

Bhushan - August 2, 2012

Hello,

Would like to know if this issue is resolved in QTP 11. I am running into a similar issue where a report generation takes longer than 2 minutes and when running thru QC it fails. However, if I run the component directly from QTP, it works fine.

I made the changes as mentioned in the post but was not able to install hotfix as I am on the higher version.

Kiran - August 2, 2012

Our team is automating (QTP 11) a test case to generate report on SAP ECC application, which takes a very long time (3-4 mins).
When running from HP QC, we are getting ‘Catastrophic’
error . QC exits the test set abruptly with ‘ Not Completed’ status ( however, all steps in BPT component are executed successfully on the SAP ECC app) and does not move on to the next component.

Any ideas?

Joe Colantonio - August 2, 2012

Kiran » Hi Kiran – Do you have the QTP/BPT patch qtp_00906 installed? If that does not resolve your issue you might need to contact HP for hotfix QTP_00826 – Prevent Failure of QuickTest Tests Run from Quality Center. The only issue is that I found this in HP’s KB and it was posted last year. When I try to download the hotfix from the link it says the page is no longer available.

Kiran - August 3, 2012

Thanks Joe for the quick reply.
      We tried with both the patches, but it did not work. FYI – We are using Windows &

Kiran - August 5, 2012

Sorry …in the above comment I meant ” We are using Windows 7″

Mohammed Aslam - September 11, 2012

What’s the patch for the same problem for QTP 10.00.0.0 version?

Joe Colantonio - September 11, 2012

Mohammed Aslam » I do not see on for QC 10 – if you are receiving this error in QC10 you should contact HP support. They might have a hotfix that I’m not aware of available.

Josh - September 18, 2012

I know we had a patch for 10, but don’t remember the number. We upgraded to 11, and they still hadn’t fixed it, so we got a hotfix. It’s not a public patch yet, but it is number 941.

pranjali - September 24, 2013

Any update on the patch for qtp 10??
and does the patch 906 work for qtp 11??

Kulamani - January 9, 2015

Hi Joe
I am getting catastrophic failure error while running scripts from QTp 11.0 for my application .
Issue description-we are trying to connect DbVisualizer 8.0.12 from qtp 11.0.while running the scripts we are getting catastrophic failure in the error log.Please help me in this regards.
Note>this same code was runing fine with same set of code and configuration before .

Below is the code snippet
———————————–
Query = “SELECT * FROM “& sTableName &” WHERE User_ID='”& sCid &”‘”
ConnectionStr = “Driver={IBM DB2 ODBC DRIVER};Database=”& sDatabase &”;Hostname = “& sHostname &”;Port=”&sPort &”; Protocol=TCPIP;Uid=”& sUid &”;Pwd=”& sPwd &”;”
con.Open ConnectionStr
Msgbox err.description
rs.Open Query, con

Eagerly awaiting for response.
Thanks in Advance
Kulamani sahoo

Joe Colantonio - January 13, 2015

Hi Sorry not sure what the issue is. This code was working fine — so what has changed. Does this fail on all machines that you try running on? What version of ALM QC are you using?