ALM/QC Critical Patch 12 Released
HP just released a Patch 12 for the following operating systems:
Patches Superseded by Patch 12
Patch 12 supersedes the following patches:
The following issues have been fixed in ALM/QC 11 Patch 12
- Spaces in a defect description that contain Korean characters were replaced by carriage return (new line) characters when exported to Microsoft Excel.
- Filtering defects using the [CurrentUser] value did not work properly if the user name was capitalized and Oracle was the DBMS of the project.
- Adding new text and table structure to the Comments field of a defect distorted the comment's content.
The “Field requires a value from the corresponding list” error was displayed when changing the value of a field that is linked to a list in a newly-created defect.
- Filtering a large requirements tree view while maintaining a hierarchical structure was slower than expected.
- The addition of columns to the Traced to Requirements tab in the Traceability Matrix view were not saved as part of the Favorite filter.
- Importing business models under certain condition caused an exception and the following error was displayed: “Failed to Import Model Post Process; unexpected failure in getValuePostProcess;”
- When creating a copy of a project that has images in the rich text portion of the requirements, the images were not retained in the copied entities.
- Requirements copied from a particular project and pasted into another project resulted in the Target Release and Target Cycle fields being updated with default values. Tests Module
- Retrieving the entire result set of the Runs view under Test Instance Details using the “Retrieve all
results” link did not show the expected full result set.
- Adding a large number of tests (over 2,000) to a test set at once was not possible.
- Tests could not be imported using the Microsoft Excel add-in in HP ALM 11 projects that were upgraded from Quality Center 10.00.
- When creating a new design step, the focus was on the Step Name field instead of the Description.
- When creating child folders to a folder already assigned to a cycle in the Test Lab module, only the first child folder inherited the cycle assignment.
- The modification of the Actual field of test step were not kept if the filter of the steps was modified while the cursor was kept in the Actual field.
- Changes to the Requirement Coverage on tests were not retained if the project is managed by version control.
- Text of a design step that was formatted using automatic numbering or bullets was not displayed properly in the Step Details of the Last Run Report.
- Pasting large test sets in version-controlled projects using Oracle took a considerable amount of time to complete.
- The re-ordering of tests in Execution Flow tab of the Test Lab module was not visible in the Execution Grid in the Automatic Runner.
- Test memo fields' values were displayed improperly when accessing ALM using the Korean Windows XP SP3 operating system.
- User could not move test set folders, even if the users had permission to do so.
- An error occurred for some projects having large number of tests when adding components to tests.
- The Iterations window could not be opened when group of components are specified in a test script having many iterations.
- The reference to a test case flow was not properly pasted or imported after copying or exporting a business process test case that makes use of flows.
- The component name was reset with a default one after requesting a component in the Test Plan module and then adding steps and parameters before submitting.
- Saving the modified value of business process tests by pressing the
key displayed an error.
- The test coverage indication in the requirements view was incorrect after the criterion of the test coverage was modified.
- An application area could not be opened by pressing the Launch QTP button, namely when a new applicationarea was created that uses the .Net, WPF and Web add-ins.
- The output parameter values of a business process test, whose execution lingers, were not kept.
- Library synchronization failed when components were deleted in both the Export and Import sides.
- An exception occurred when executing Load Runner 11.04 from ALM.
- The srunner.ocx component issued an exception after running VAPI-XP tests in ALM.
- Memory consumption was not properly cleared when traversing the Test Set module using API.
- In specific cases of integrating Executive Scorecard (XS) 9.30 and HP ALM 11.00 over Oracle, the API call result returned an ORA-01795 error.
- In a newly-created test set, the Type system field did not get a value when the test set was added using API. As a result the test set could not be opened.
- The renaming of folders was not synchronized properly from baselines.
- The Import of libraries failed for specific projects created in ALM Chinese edition.
- Requirements were not synchronized between projects if the requirements were added to a library individually and not within a folder.
- Synchronizing libraries between projects using baselines failed with an error.
- Synchronization resulted in an error after deleting a folder and all its subentities in a target project, while in the source project addition and deletion took place under the same folder.
- Accessing very complex QuickTest Professional tests caused QuickTest Professional to stop responding.
- Loading tests into QuickTest Professional took a considerable amount of time, especially when opening tests with calls to external actions using relative paths. Install the QTP_00990 QuickTest Professional hotfix.
- The ALM client did not respond after switching to the Execution Flow tab of a test plan of a QuickTest Professional test that was run with multiple iterations.
- Defect fields that are hidden using the data-hiding filter were not accessible for read and write actions using workflow script.
- Removing a Host from the Host Manager using the RemoveHost API method resulted in an error.
- Installing the MMerge.exe and QCClient.PerformanceMonitor.UI.exe files failed to download when installing the client from Internet Explorer.
- Reports in version-controlled projects, when creating a test lab report using the Document Generator, the version-related information was not included in the resulting document.
- The ALM client could not connect over a Forefront Threat Management Gateway server.
- The ALM login page could not be reached when trying to access it through Citrix Netscaler over HTTPS.
- Import of a release from a template failed due to the attempt to employ an additional connection to the template.
- Customization information that is cached on the client side did not affect the login time. Now the cached information is properly used and the login time is reduced.
- The Replace option used in a test plan view that is filtered by date field replaced all tests regardless of the set filter.
The name of customized module was not displayed as expected. Module name is set by default to the Module ID. You can explicitly set the Module display name by adding the following tag to the config file:
- The dialog box that is displayed in the Verify/Apply project template process showed a Cancel button instead of a Close button.
- ALM did not display user-defined lists of type “user list” as a condition criterion in the Automail section of project customization.
- The custom properties of a Microsoft Word document that utilizes the HP ALM Word Add-in were cleared after saving the document.
- The User Name and Domain fields of the Auto Restart Setting dialog box of the ALM System Test Agent were read-only when executed on a Windows 7 64bit operating system.
- Slow response was observed in large projects having BP hiding filters.
- Business Process Modeling import issues occurred with QualiWare Lifecycle Manager (QLM), a business process modeling tool.
- Tests that are linked to a test set were not displayed as linked upon changing the test coverage of a version-controlled project.
- Upgrade issues were encountered in previous patches in cases where ALM 11.00 was installed as “copy and upgrade” for Quality Center 9.20 / Quality Center 10.00.
- Choosing the “Do not show this dialog box again” option in the Choose Client Certificate dialog box resulted in the inability of the ALM client to connect to the ALM server.
- An error occurred when generating a project report for requirements using a cross-filter.
- Ancestors of requirement records were not displayed in a project report even if the Keep Hierarchy option was checked in cases where the filter being used related to a parent field.
- Reports were not printed properly when HP ALM was running on a Windows 7 64-bit operating system using Internet Explorer 9.
- The progress graph displayed data for entities that are missing their historical information. Now the progress is based only on entities with historical information (i.e., Audit log).
- Migration of Performance Center projects (with more than 1000 tests) using the PC migration tool failed. Either the project tests were not migrated or the migration failed to complete, because of a deadlock.
- User-defined fields added to the Releases module using an OTA based tool in HP Quality Center 10.00 were missing after the project was upgraded to HP ALM 11.00.
- An error occurred when viewing the coverage analysis of requirements for which tests were automatically generated.
- An error was encountered during library synchronization of an ALM project. A deleted resource caused a NullPointerException that in turn led to a library synchronization failure.
- Business Process Testing – When running a business process test or flow with UFT, a redundant call was made to the server.
- Check-in and check-out of business process tests did not work properly due to an internal query block.
A user that is assigned to a group that is permitted to create and update design steps could not create a new design step by means of copy/paste, and could not use the renumbering functionality. To have this fix take effect, follow these steps:
1. Add the following line to the “verify_tasks_deep.xml” file that is located under
2. Add the following line to the
“repair_tasks.xml” file that is located
in the same folder as the above file:
3. Restart the ALM server.
4. Run the Project Repair tool.
For the full instruction please refer to http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00209162.
- The search criteria for tests were not retained after selecting a test from the search output, adding requirements to it, and returning back to the search result view.
- After deleting one step out of many in a test script, the first step became the current record in the list instead of the step that preceded the deleted one.
- The drop down option of the Search field in the Test plan module that keeps the previous searches was populated with redundant empty lines for every component one navigated to after a given search.
- An error occurred when switching to the Application Area tab of a test resource after a library was imported into the project.
- In Test Lab, selected CC recipients for email notifications were not saved.
- In a version controlled project, the mark of a used parameter was not properly removed after a design step using the parameter was deleted.
- The test parameter field TP_DEFAULT_VALUE could not be modified by all the custom groups that have permission to modify it.
- When adding tests to a test set using a filter, tests not included in the filter were added to the test set when a user clicks the Subject (root) folder while adding tests from the filtered Test Plan tree.
- Actual values of a test configuration were not saved after setting these values using the Copy Default Values option.
- When Smart Repository was enabled, copying a test with run results resulted in orphan records in the SMART_REPOSITORY_LOGICAL_FILE table.
- User could not delete a test Instance in cases where the Delete Test Instance and Delete Run permissions were set to “By owner only” even if the same user was the owner of those entities. 198613 – The Planned Host Name field in the Test Lab -> Test Set
- Execution Grid does not provide a dropdown arrow for choosing the name.
- QuickTest Professional was unable to connect to HP ALM through HP Partner Reverse (Web) Proxy.
- Sprinter could not connect to HP ALM through a reverse proxy with digital certificate authentication.
- An HP ALM deployment integrated with SiteMinder for authorization resulted in an occasional “Invalid Server Response” error message a few hours after initial connection.
- Cancelling the _FieldCanChange function in a workflow did not restore the old value of the corresponding field. This defect was encountered when using ALM Explorer and advancing to a field other than the validated field.
- An error occurred when refreshing a subfolder in the Test Plan module using a workflow script.
- Values of TestSetTest_Field of a workflow were not retrieved consistently when running a manual test run.
- In a Test Lab workflow script, the value of the step's Test ID field (i.e.,Step_Fields.Field(“ST_TEST_ID”)) returned the test name instead of the test ID. Version Control
- When editing a lookup-list field for a checked-in entity, the checkout worked as expected but the modified value was not kept. Site Administration
- In shared mode installation, the client files used by Site Administration were stored under the user's profile location instead of under a shared location.
- An error occurred when importing users from LDAP by keyword and the result of the LDAP query was empty.
- When deleting a user from the Site Administration console while the user entry is locked in the Project User list of project customization, the user record is kept in the project users list though not displayed in the Site Administration users list. Microsoft Word Add-in
- An error was encountered when requirements were imported into HP ALM using the MS Word add-in and the number of imported requirements exceeded 32,000.
- A redundant warning message of “Removing a field may result in data loss” appeared when performing cross project customization and clicking the Verify button.
- An error occurred when viewing the history of an entity after a user-defined field, that initially had its History option enabled, had the History option removed and then the user-defined field was deleted entirely. Now, upon deleting a user-defined field, its previously-recorded history is also deleted.
- If Korean characters were typed in the body of a mail, space characters were replaced by new line characters when the mail is received.
- The display of the progress bar indicating the progress of uploading or downloading an attachment did not reflect the actual progress.
- Download of attachments that are larger than 2GB was not possible.
- In certain scenarios, the message “Invalid Server Response” was issued repeatedly by the HP ALM client.
- An error was encountered when a project was created by copying data from an existing project and all project content options were selected.
- Read-only memo fields that are displayed in a grid were missing the drop down option to expand their content for full viewing.
- The drop down option is not available in the following grids that are entirely read-only: * Tests grid in Business Models module > Linkage tab * Business Model Linkage in Requirements module * Graphs' drill down results
- Hiding the indication columns in grid views was not kept persistent for consecutive sessions.
- Non-English diacritics (e.g., umlaut) in defect data were not exported properly to a Word file.
- HP ALM server installed with the Performance Center extension reached an out-of-memory state in case a folder had over 4 million files.
- ALM Explorer running on Windows XP SP3 having Internet Explorer 6 installed and using a proxy server did not perform properly.
- After reaching the high limit of the Smart Repository, user cannot create components and attachments and receives an error.
- MSI Installation – Running a generated MSI installation with Shared Deployment mode failed when no network connection was available.
- The SQL statement used for Test Set queries did not bind literal values causing each individual statement to be parsed and cached individually. Now binding is used to consolidate many individual statements into a single structure.
- A memory leak was found in the utilization of Spider.
- New entities could not be created in a newly-created project whose Customization data was copied from a different project.
- Updates to the summary field of a defect were kept only on a consecutive update when the update was made in grid view.
- An “Out of context” warning message was displayed while selecting attached files in the New Defect dialog window.
Patch 12 Enhancements
- A new site parameter,ATTACH_TOTAL_MAX_SIZE, limits the size of attachments for a specific entity.
- Performance has been improved for ALM connected over a reverse proxy server.
- As of patch 12, HP ALM 11.00 is certified for Performance Center 11.00 Patch 7.
- Service Test is certified on MS SQL 2008 SP3 Service Test is certified on Red Hat 5.8 64-bit as a server operating system
- You can now create cross filters in the Test Lab module's tree by Responsible Tester.
- A warning message, that is displayed when editing a called test's steps while the called test is running, was repeatedly displayed for every step. Now this message is displayed only once.
- In the Test Plan module, the state and position of the Test Configurations bottom pane under the test selection tree is now persistent for each user.
Release scope items are defined by including requirements, tests, test sets,and defects.
- Now you can also filter which defects to include.
In the Releases module > Release Scope tab, you can include one of the following:
*Defects that match certain criteria.
*Defects that are linked to certain requirements, tests, and test sets.
Note: Links between defects and test sets also include indirect links to: Test instances, Runs and Steps. KPIs related to defects (such as Severe Defects) are calculated accordingly on scorecards,providing a greater measure of accuracy.
- MSI Generator now supports combinations of Registered and Shared files in the same locations.
- MSI packages now support deployment of multiple ALM servers.
- Silent installation is now available for SystemTest Agent. Note: The silent installation of SystemTest agent cannot be executed on Windows Vista and Windows 7 when User Account Control is enabled.
- Login to ALM over HTTPS with client certificates is now supported.
As of patch 10, HP ALM 11.00 is certified for the following servers, databases, and tools:
- Oracle 184.108.40.206
- MS SQL 2008 SP3
- Windows 7 SP1 32Bit as Client OS
- Red Hat 5.7 64bit as Server OS
- Red Hat 5.8 64bit as Server OS
- PC 11.00 Patch 6
- Oracle 220.127.116.11
The following are some limitations relating to the new certifications:
- STM, ST are not certified on Oracle 18.104.22.168, MS SQL 2008 SP3
- STM, ST are not certified on Windows 7 SP1 32 bit as client OS
- STM, ST are not certified on Red Hat 5.7 64bit, Red Hat 5.8 64bit as server OS
- STM, ST are not certified on Oracle 22.214.171.124, MS SQL 2008 SP3
The patch includes various performances and stability fixes. This patch is a critical and mandatory patch. The performance improvements include:
- Improvements on the server cache
- mechanism Memory utilization
- improvements due to background job
- changes Improvements to SQL queries
- Improvements on the server cache
- The stability items include: Fixes of server deadlocks that resulted in sporadic crashes Fixes in the PC extension that caused server crashes
- Controlling the size of the attachments
- A new parameter enables you to control the size of attachments. Solution: The site parameter UPLOAD_ATTACH_MAX_SIZE (size in KB) has been added. It controls the size of attachments added using OTA and in the User Interface. It does not control the size of attachments in integration tools.
- DEP compliance Description: ALM can work on operating systems with DEP turned on.
- Data Awareness Drop-down list in the Resource Parameter Name column which contains all the resource (Excel) headers. Auto-mapping via the Map Parameters dialog box. Data-table resource preview according to the predefined filter in the Test Configuration tab.
- Mail Support in Test Lab The user can send a test instance including details, history, attachments, run summary, and last run steps from Test Lab.
- Default Values Creating new entities, such as tests, test configurations, and defects, sometimes requires entering a large number of fields. Often the values for these fields are the same, and it is repetitive and time consuming to enter the values. For example, each time a QA engineer adds a new defect for the same environment in the same testing cycle, the values for the following defect fields are likely to be the same: Project, Detected in Cycle, Detected in Release, and Target, Release.
- The second parameter, send from, from the Send Mail API has the ability to be specified in the script. Enhancement
- You can select multiple tests/requirements and include them simultaneously to the coverage analysis feature.
- There is a horizontal bar in the Test Plan.
- Site Administration Both administrators and non-administrators can start Site Administration. Instances of Quality Center 10.00 Site Administration can be opened side-by-side with instances of ALM 11.00 Site Administration. 3rd party tools can integrate Site Administration operations into their scripts by registering the Site Administration client component. For details, see the HP ALM Client Registration add-in on the HP ALM Add-ins page. Client MSI Generator The generated MSI package can now be installed on client machines with User Account Control enabled.
- Certifications BPT/BPTEE was certified for Win2008R2SP1, Oracle126.96.36.199, and VistaSP2x32. ST 11.2 was certified for Win2008R2SP1, and Oracle188.8.131.52.
- CIT 2.6 support will be provided with this patch.
- Mobile App – Introducing the HP ALM Defect Management Mini Application for Mobile Devices Enterprise Collaboration – ALM 11.0 can be integrated with Enterprise Collaboration (EC).
- A non-versioned field option was added to Project Customization, which is used to define whether or not to save versioning information for a field. When updating fields that are non-versioned for multi-entities using the Replace or Update selected options, if this option is selected, no check out dialog box displays. When viewing previous versions of an entity, fields that are not versioned are labeled as non-versioned.
- In Project Customization, in the Cross Project Customization page, you can now select whether to view all linked projects or only active ones.
- Project Planning and Tracking Summary: A drill down option was added to the Scorecard view in the Releases module. The option shows all the entities that create the scorecard KPI value. There is also an option to drill down by numerator or denominator.
- Business Planning Modeling Enhancement ID: Summary: Support was added for EPC Row/Column ARIS notations. Certification
- Windows Server 2008 R2 is now supported
- ALM 11.00 is certified on Microsoft Office 2010
- Business Process Testing – Add the BPTEE functionality to the core BPT product. It is recommended to perform the project upgrade after installing this patch
- NTLM support both for proxy and web authentication, to enable it for all configurations without the need in configuring the web gate.Note: To use ALM Explorer with NTLM, you use the new version from the Add-ins page.
- In ALM 11 the requirements rich text feature was changed. Before ALM 11 it was MS Word document, shown in the ALM UI. The new rich text is stored as HTML page. Rich text, created before ALM 11, should be converted from the MS Word documents into HTML.
Client Side by Side REST API Data-hiding filter for the Releases module Session Reconnect Auto-mail for Repository Migration Status Performance improvements
Wow that's a ton of changes – how do I get this patch?